Hi, I'm Matt and this is my new blog. I started European Country Living almost twenty years ago in Germany. Since then I have been on hundreds of buying trips across Europe to flea markets, wholesalers and trade shows. And in the process I have bought thousands of items for my store in Germany and have shipped dozens of containers to my store in the U.S. (all stores are now closed, but that's another story for a later time...).
Over the years my customers have continually asked me about my buying trips, which markets I visit, how to remove the stain on a particular piece of furniture, what the original use was for some item, and on and on. I therefore want to share some of what I have learned from buying and selling European antiques & accessories:
- Recognizing "the real deal" (lots of reproductions out there these days)
- Which countries, flea markets, and at what time of year to visit
- Understanding the challenges of shipping your new treasures home
- Restoring and/or caring for items
- Decorating and design ideas
- General tips on European food, travel, and cultural events
There's a lot to explore, so stay tuned and thanks for visiting.